Friday 23 August 2013

Not So Awful August #20


(If you haven't read my previous blog, go do that now, everything from here will make a lot more sense!) So it might sound all doom and gloom out here on the bike but it isn't that bad really. Firstly all the bike shops I went into were so nice to me, after laughing at me a bit, they were very happy to help and offer advice about where I was going and what to expect. Over Lassen Pass (pictured above) I met a really nice guy from Argentina who just rides around for 3/4 of the year then works winters in Spain! He was so nice and funny though so he rode with me and cheered me up a lot. I didn't climb the 8,500 feet of Lassen as they were redoing the road so I did 1,500 feet in the back of a pick up! Then during the 7/8 attacks the neighbours were so nice and caring, they totally looked after me like they were my parents which was so nice. They even offered to drive me to catch up! 



After I left I had a long day and ended up at the bottom of a HUGE hill just staring at it not having the energy to cycle up to the campsite at the top. Then out of nowhere, a jeep appeared with the two nicest people ever! They had cycled across country on a tandem before and were planing to go from Mexico to Canada soon. They (Andy and Kim) let me sleep on their back porch on a mattress staring at the stars, it was so nice! They even got me breakfast in the morning from a great little bakery! 


Next, at Lake Tahoe, there was no where to stay so I was just going from campsite to campsite until a guy grabbed me and said I could share his spot with his family! It was a total life saving moment and I was getting a little worried! A camp fire, food and conversation, so nice! Then a few days after I met a woman just starting here ride across country, ended up having an amazing meal together in this restaurant that did a 14oz burger! (Ate the whole thing plus all the extras...)

 
 
So people really have been the saviours for me and gave me just enough to keep going. It has been a really hard time out here but messages from home and amazing people out here have really made the difference! Not going to lie, defiantly better looking back on it instead of being in it! 

I have a video about all of this so go check it out on my YouTube channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment