Friday 23 August 2013

Awful August #19



August (well at least parts of it) sucked! Started off on the 1st with my rear tyre literally exploding in the middle of no where! The tyre had a bike hole in it and I had no real way to get it fixed. I ended up using the now broken inner tube as a tyre liner and then the magical duct tape which ended up allowing me to ride for 30 miles with no punctures! It did give in in the end just before getting in to a campground at about 10:30pm, not an enjoyable day! 



The next day I got a new tyre and went on my way and got a nice campsite in the woods. Decided to have a rest day the next day to stock up and relax. Went into town to get some food and the ATM didn't let me get anymore cash out so I only got the essentials. Took it back the 5 miles to my campsite, when I got back I noticed I had an email saying I had my bank account locked as they thought it was fraud! After some frantic emails home to try to get my parents to put money on my phone so I could call the bank to unlock my account. As it was about to be sorted, battery died... Back again into town to get some power, an hour later I finally got it sorted and able to buy more food then cycled back to my campsite (20 miles cycled on a "rest" day). When I got back to camp, in the rush to get some phone power I left my newly purchased food out, the squirrels and birds had helped themselves... Fantastic.


I moved on from the camp and about 2 days later I came into a camp and got talking to the neighbours who felt sorry for me that I didn't have much food so they invited me over for chicken tacos, which tasted amazing. At 1:30am, they decided to fight back... I have never been as ill as I was that night! It is now known as the 7/8 attacks! The next day I had to stay at the camp as I could not eat anything or even stay awake for more than an hour. I had to push myself to get going the day after so I wouldn't be behind. That day I was okay, but they say after I really slumped again and was really worried. After a 12 hour sleep and another easy day of riding I was okay and in need of some food! Blueberry pancakes and bacon, is anything better! 

Then passing through Sacramento, my front bag struck a speed bump and bent the front rack an insane amount! A bike shop with a very creative mechanic with a lot of tape and zip ties straighten it out so I was able to keep going. I kept going but managed to hit almost every thorn in Northern California so ran out of tubes about 3 miles from San Fran... Another bike shop allowed me to make it the rest of the way! 

San Fran was really good apart from trying to cut my own thumb in half with my knife that I spent too much time sharpening! (Not clever Ross!)



Then as I left San Fran I noticed that my rear rack had snapped totally off the bolt and was now basically useless! Another bike shop and a new rear rack... 


That all leads me to now and I don't want to jinx it so I think I will just leave it there and not say anything at all! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment