Wednesday 31 July 2013

2 States, 1000 Miles and 1 Month Completed in America #18


So first off, apologise for the big gap in updates, videos and all the rest but a combination of no power and no phone reception had meant that I have been in a bit of a bubble from the outside world! Feels like a life time ago I wrote an update on my blog even though it is only 12 days, however a lot has happened so here is a bit of a run down:

- Saw my first bear
- Cycling like a pro (Tour de America)
- Serviced my bike
-Climbing almost every mountain in sight
- Got free pizza from a Nike photo-shoot 
- Congratulated for the birth of a prince I didn't even know was born
- Met some awesome people at Crescent Lake
- Saw Creator Lake
- Meet a guy hiking from Mexico to Canada
- Eaten everything in sight and then some!

So that is what I have done in the last few days... Oh and I guess there was some cycling in there too!


So to expand a bit on some of it; the bear (plus other wildlife)!

It is in my next video but I was cycling along a few days ago, no traffic, middle of no where, and something ran across the road about 100 feet ahead, a young BLACK BEAR!!! I was terrified and sprinted past where I saw it!!! It was so big and scary and could have easily killed me! I was totally fine and wish I got a better look at it but at the time, the shock just made me want to get away from it! 

I also found a snake while I took a walk along a lake picking raspberries (It's a good life out here!) I saw a path ways full of baby frogs looking for a river, also I eagles and hawks all the time! Insects and bugs seem to like the taste of English meat but also like to fly in my slipstream which is fun to see. Squirrels and deer seem to really like bikes and come very close to have a look then panic when they notice me. I scared off a vulture from eating a dead raccoon which smelt vile!  A lizard was running on the outside of my tent a few nights ago at 1:30am, spooked me SO badly!!! So yeah, I am on a bit of a nature watch currently, hopefully see more things later, I want to see a mountain lion (even though they would kill me almost instantly)


I saw this at a campsite which was a nice surprise after a large climb (and receiving a hat from an old man... Strange, I know).  So I was just about to head off to sleep and 3 guys turned up (2 cycling) and I said they could share my camp site to save some money and there wasn't any room left I don't think. They were nice and then just as I was about to go to sleep some one shouted "Free pizza!" Basically there was a Nike photoshop for trail running going on all day and they had over ordered on pizza so I was happy to help out! They were HUGE! One. Slice was almost a meal in itself!


At Crescent Lake I took a rest day and I the evening of my first night I was invited over by the neighbours who were just amazing people! Just 3 sisters with some friends of theirs hanging out for a few days and they made my stay so much more fun. Most of it was "Say [insert word here] in your accent and then say it in an American accent" which I have to admit was very funny. I did get my own back by talking in some Cockney rhyming slang and some typical British sayings. By the end of the weekend, we were all having a proper bubble by the waaater (personal joke). Sad I had to leave but did mean I met the hiker!


Stopped off after seeing Crater Lake and sat outside a store. Got chatting to this insanely funny hiker (wish now I went to lunch with him as my campsite was only an hour away and it was 1:30!) I can't explain how nice it is to meet another solo traveler! So many little things which sound so odd but if you spend time alone for a long time you will understand. So here is a list of things we talked about:

- Cravings
- Time is everything
- Weekend warrior campers
- Hunger like nothing else
- Never trust a North bounder 
- Being awkward in social situations
- Little things which are like heaven
- Laughing at what is "important" in the real world
- Games you play alone
- Traveler vs Hobo
- The low times

I think I will do a video to explain all that.

So I have now finished Oregon and Section 2 of my maps, hit the 1000 mile mark and the 1 month mark. I now believe I am a legit traveler! 


So that is the main points of my last few days. I have finally got wifi to put up this blog and videos so go check out the YouTube channel for a few different videos! 

By the way, I found a smashed up iPhone 5 on the side of the road with no screen. Just thought it was kind of cool and impressive. 






No comments:

Post a Comment