Friday 19 July 2013

Haven't Had a Normal Day Yet! #17



So I have been cycling then camping then cycling then camping then cycling (you get the idea) for a while now and I would say I am in a routine. Only problem is that it is so unpredictable day to day a routine is impossible! I have had some days in an old western style town and others in a German style town. Some days where I see no one and others where I meet the world. I am in no way complaining, it is amazing, the things I have done and seen but more importantly the people I have met. 

It is inevitable to meet people when traveling. Especially when you are flying the Union Jack off the back of a bike loaded with 25kg of gear, everyone wants to talk to you and find out what you are doing. Most are just the same three questions; Where are you from? Where did you start? Where are you going? Then they give you some information about what is to come (which usually is correct and helps surprisingly a lot)  and then they wish me luck on my travels. It is nice just to talk with people and every bit of local knowledge is important. But every now and then, some people go beyond and they give me far more than I could ever ask for!


I mentioned before the family who stopped on the side of the road and offered me a place to stay. Well they did hold their word and I had a great time! Pulled up only an hour after they had returned home after their holiday and they were more than welcoming. Got a shower, a bed and laundry done which are always great (the simple things become so important). They also cooked a great dinner which filled me right up, BBQ pork chop and corn, awesome! A load of their friends came over all of whom were as kind and welcoming as each other and I had an all round great evening, topped off with my first homemade American pie! I now love pie! I need more pie!

My other major encounter with people being exceedingly generous was two days beforehand. Came into a normal campsite as I do everyday and by chance the owner and 2 residence were sitting out front. They already asked "the three questions" before I even got through the door and they kept on talking to me while I picked out a spot and paid up! I got food and money off from the owner and even met his mother-in-law from Leeds (always love meeting British people, nice to laugh over a real sense of humour!) The two other residence, Lisa and Pat were opposite my camp spot and invited me over for a drink the moment I got set up. How could I refuse?! Spent the rest of the night eating secret recipe meatballs (want to eat that and pie all day everyday) and also celebrating the neighbours birthday. He showed me what Fireball whiskey is and we spent ages talking about baseball and cars, what a great male evening!

Lisa and Pat convinced me to stay an extra night on their spot (so it was free!) and take a rest day. I did so happily, we went around the local town which was like stepping into Germany just thousands of miles from where it should be and then went back to the campsite to play "who can survive in the freezing cold creek under water for the longest" game. Which I got a respectable 2nd place! The whole of these 2 days and the next morning I was looked after so well and treated like a member of the family so much so they are now my American mom and dad. If I get to San Diego in time I might be able to see Lisa again, but that is a long way off at the moment.



So being out here is exhausting but amazing fun as well, met people who I would never have even known existed and had a great laugh while doing it. Food and a bed is all I need in a day as a routine to make me happy, the rest I have no control over and just have to take it all as it comes!


I should have just put up a new video that talks about the rest of the other days just I didn't record much of this 3 days of being with people so I thought I should write about it instead.

I am doing another video about just generally what I get up to apart from cycling so if you have any questions to ask just send them to me and I will include them in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment