Wednesday 10 July 2013

So It Begins! #16


So finally after all this time I am actually riding my bike in America! On the 5th I got a train up to Bellingham which was great, super comfortable and so easy with all my luggage and bike. Got off, put all my stuff on the bike and headed off to Sumas, a small little boarder town which was to be my starting point. I camped there easily and in the morning, got right up to the boarder and started my journey to San Diego! 


It was this first day that I had a rather stupid moment... I took a wrong turning out of a gas station and shot off down a long road, it was so similar to the one I was meant to be traveling on (crossing some of the same rivers and creeks). It was not until I asked a cyclist what town I just left that he told me that instead of south, I had gone 15 miles East! I had to turn around and go all the way back to the gas station!!! I did finally manage to get to where I was planning to go but only at 10:00pm!! The host were amazingly lovely and in the morning I got invited over to their RV for coffee and it was great to just relax and talk to some real Americans about what is different over in the states and stuff!

So the rest of the time I have just been sorting on the bike just pumping out the miles, met some lovely people who have offered me a place to say a bit down the line and yesterday I had one hell of a bike ride! A huge 30 mile climb going up to just below 6000 feet and then a 15 mile down hill drop which was amazing. The scenery was awesome and it made the climb seem all the more worth it!! 

To get a more detailed look at what I have been doing day to day, it is probably better to watch my videos and I record them thought the day every day and they give a clearer picture of what I am up to. You can watch the latest at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9CKyz33EDg



I have also been put on Mark Beaumont's website (a famous bike tourer) and also on the Leighton Buzzard local newspaper. Links to these are on my twitter page. So a big thanks to everyone at home and all the support I have been getting, it really does help me so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment